02. Former cricket captain Kumar Sangakkara - Committee Member
03. Army Commander Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva - Committee Member
04. Rowena Samarasinghe - Committee Member
05. Sanjeewa Wickramanayake - Committee Member
06. Julian Bowling - Committee Member
07. Yaswanth Muttetuwegama - Committee Member
08. Supun Weerasinghe - Committee Member
09. Kasturi Wilson - Committee Member
10. Ruwan Keragala - Committee Member
11. Rajitha Ampemohotti - Committee Member
12. Rohan Fernando - Committee Member
13. Motor Racing Champion Dilantha Malagamuwa - Committee Member
14. Amal Edirisooriya - Committee Member
Among the functions of the new National Sports Council is to advise the Sports Minister on the development of the sport, policies and the standard of the sport as well as how to uplift the associated infrastructure.
Minister Rajapaksa noted that the existing sports law, which was established in 1973, has to be amended in order to develop the sports in this country. Accordingly, among the responsibilities of the National Sports Council is to guide special programmes for the preparation of the preliminary work required to formulate a new Sports Act and a National Sports Policy.
The National Sports Council is also tasked with formulating policies for the development of infrastructure required to uplift athletes to a professional level, to advise the Minister with regard to the selection of athletes to national squads, formulating policies to develop sports in schools in collaboration with the Ministries of Sports and Education and working to create a conducive environment that would help to preserve the sanctity and transparency of sports.